Thursday, August 25, 2016

It's Been a While

Playing without a Full Keyboard, oil, 24x18
 
I finally completed a painting, thanks to a deadline--I had committed to a group exhibit last year and was determined to have at least one new piece.  This has been on my easel for about four years; it's from a photo of me at a piano recital (probably the last time I wore ruffles) and the sculpture watches me from on high when I'm at the kitchen sink.  (He got changed a bit).  I got stuck on this painting because, in its earlier state, the girl in ruffles looked old and I considered leaving her that way because my mother said I was born 50 years old--I thought maybe it was meant to be.  Two weeks ago I sanded the old face off and repainted most of it.  The exhibit was hung yesterday.  This is water soluble oil so it was dry enough to frame.
 
The last couple of years have not been easy; my husband was very ill and passed away in April.  In July, I had to make the decision to say goodbye to my dog Willie; he had been diagnosed with liver cancer in 2015.
 
It's been nineteen long months since my last post--I hope to paint and blog more often.  Thank you to my blog friends who've emailed and said you missed my posts.  I've been following your blogs and FB posts.




12 comments:

  1. Welcome back Hallie! Really sorry to hear about your losses, what a tough year . But glad to see you are back painting, and still with that very special touch . A big hug .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane. I've checked out all the beautiful flowers on your blog--now the beauty and the ocean.

      Delete
  2. A stellar Hallie Farber composition with such depth and meaning. A real beauty.

    I'm so sorry for your recent losses. I hadn't realized that you also lost Willie. Our pets mean so much to us. It's been a tough time.

    I was so thrilled to see your post come through my email. I look forward to your future paintings.

    Hugs,
    Pamo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I've missed you--I'm reminded of you everytime I see a motorcycle. I am sorry about your furkids.

      Delete
  3. Hello, Hallie. It's good to see you posting again. I'm sorry to hear about your dear husband and Willie. What huge changes in your life. I hope you are able to paint and post when the urge hits. Take care. Hugs and more hugs to you.
    Beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole. A new house for you and no blue walls--I wondered where you'd been for the past months. I expect great things from that studio.

      Delete
  4. Hallie, so nice to see you back. I am so sorry to hear your sad news. It is so very difficult to lose a mate. I know Willie gave you some months of comfort. A double loss. I love this piece as it is so original as all your pieces are. I so admire your imagination and ability to turn your thoughts into art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I didn't know there was more to come--had masses on ovary, in bladder and breast. Three surgeries at one time in Jan.; breast and bladder were cancer but found early. My kids were with me for a month, am feeling better each day.

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry. I hope this year is better.

    The painting is compelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean. It got off to a rough start with surgery on Jan 3 but I'm recovering.

      Delete
  6. Dear Hallie, Welcome back. I'm so sorry for all your losses. Sending you some virtual hugs.

    Glad you are painting again and I like this very much. What is the bird holding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's holding a couple of keys from the keyboard. I'll take those hugs because in January I had surgeries for cancer--bladder and breast, and ovaries with cyst removed.. I'm recovering. Makes me wonder what's next--Ive got my papers in order! (But not my house).

      Delete